Try a Class with LOI and LiveEnglish.
How to Conjugate Close Down
- Infinitive: Close Down
- Present Tense: Close Down/ Closes Down
- -ing Form: Closing Down
- Past Tense: Closed Down
- Past Participle: Closed Down
Definitions of Close Down:
1. When the activities or services of a business permanently end.
Examples: The coffee shop is in the process of closing down, because the owner is moving away.
Since computers were invented, a lot of typewriter companies probably had to close down.
2. Used in sports, it means to stop a contender or an opponent from becoming a challenge.
Examples: The team has developed an effective strategy to close their opponents down.
The Chicago Bulls closed down every team they played in the late 1990s.
3. To end an activity temporarily, including business operations (pay attention to context to avoid confusion with the first meaning).
Examples: The coffee shop closes down at 10 pm every night.
All schools are closed down because of the bad snow storms.
See our complete list of English phrasal verbs.