Try a Class with LOI and LiveEnglish.
How to Conjugate Leave Behind
- Infinitive: Leave Behind
- Present Tense: Leave Behind/ Leaves Behind
- -ing Form: Leaving Behind
- Past Tense: Left Behind
- Past Participle: Left Behind
Definitions of Leave Behind:
1. When you don’t take something or someone with you when you leave.
Examples: She left her job, apartment and everything behind to travel the world for three years.
Let’s leave the kids behind with my mom and go somewhere together for a few days.
2. To increase the distance by which you are ahead of something or someone.
Examples: The runner ran so fast, that he left the other contenders behind by a few meters!
It is fun to watch the race car drivers leave each other behind.
3. To forget or try not to think about an unpleasant memory or experience.
Examples: After years of counseling, Diana was finally able to leave the ordeal from her divorce behind her.
Many people are depressed because they haven’t learned to leave certain events from their past behind them.
4. To forget.
Examples: Oh no! I think I left my purse behind in the movie theater!
The restaurant called to tell Jack that he had left his credit card behind.
See our complete list of English phrasal verbs.